Families of September 11 is now operating as the For Action Initiative. The
web pages on this site are available for informational purposes only.
Please visit us at www.foractioninitiative.org
May 15, 2007
FOS11 Chat Program Online Community Support Group
Often, when people live through traumatic events part of this experience leads to inward reflection and positive changes or shifts in their lives. It seems that this comes from a desire for new life experiences and even sometimes a will to overcome fears and anxiety -- to take a “leap of faith” and try a new way of being and living. Has this happened to you? Do you feel like it may be happening now? Are you frustrated because there are things you want to change but find that you are still fighting old fears or new fears?
During tomorrow's chat, we will explore this idea of making changes after living through traumatic events and suffering. A resource that we have found insightful on this topic is the recently published book, U-Turn: What If You Woke Up One Morning and Realized You Were Living the Wrong Life? by Bruce Grierson. Donna Gaffney, the Chat Facilitator, will share some of the ideas and passages in this book during the chat as points of discussion.
This online chat session will provide 9/11 victims' families, survivors, first responders, and others affected by the attacks at the Pentagon, the World Trade Center, and Shanksville the opportunity to discuss issues and topics of importance in a safe, supportive environment. As a reminder, all participants must be FOS11 members (click here to learn about membership). Dr. Donna Gaffney, a licensed mental health professional and noted trauma specialist, will facilitate the chat.
Please join the chat tomorrow, May 16th. Log-in is from 7:45 - 8:00pm EDT and the Chat will start at 8pm promptly.
To enroll click here:
When you click on the link above to enroll you will then:
- First use your FOS11 membership username and password to get to the chat registration (if you don’t know your membership information, you may retrieve it or re-register by clicking here.
- Then, create a specific chat name and password for this chat. Your chat name and password should use only letters - do not use numbers or symbols. You can re-use your chat name and password for subsequent chats.
- A few minutes later you will receive a confirmation email that you are enrolled which also includes the link to use on the day of the chat, to get into the chat.
On the day of the chat:
- Log-in to the chat 15 minutes before the chat is scheduled to begin. Click on the link that was sent in the email (mentioned above). Be sure to use your FOS11 membership username and password and your chat name and password when prompted.
- Your computer may then prompt you to install Java. You need an upgraded version of JAVA to participate in the chat. Allow the chat interface to direct you to the upgrade, then you click "yes" to upgrade, and the JAVA wizard will walk you through the process. It may take a few minutes, but it is not difficult.
- If you experience any problems during this process, email firstname.lastname@example.org and describe the issue you are having and give us your contact information, so we can help you through the log-in.