Families of September 11 is now operating as the For Action Initiative. The
web pages on this site are available for informational purposes only.
Please visit us at www.foractioninitiative.org
February 11, 2008
FOS11 Chat Program Online Community Support Group
Friends as Supportive Resources
“The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing... not healing, not curing... that is a friend who cares.” Henri Nouwen
During troubling and difficult times in our lives, we often turn to our friends for emotional support. It is often during these challenging times when we realize who our true friends are. Whether it is our furry or feathered friends who provide unconditional love and non-verbal support, our close friends of many years or new friends who we just connected with -- they are the ones who are there and know how to give us exactly what we need. “A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you just the way you are.”-Unknown
Join us for this discussion on Wednesday, February 27th, 7:45 PM EST and the Chat will start at 8:00 PM promptly. This online chat session will provide 9/11 victims' families, survivors, first responders, and others affected by the attacks at the Pentagon, the World Trade Center, and Shanksville the opportunity to discuss issues and topics of importance in a safe, supportive environment. As a reminder, all participants must be FOS11 members (click here to learn about membership). Dr. Donna Gaffney, a licensed mental health professional and noted trauma specialist, will facilitate the chat.
To enroll, click the link and follow the directions below.
For directions using the actual screens you will see when you enroll, click here. When you click on the link above to enroll you will then:
- First use your FOS11 membership username and password to get to the chat registration (if you don’t know your membership information, you may retrieve it or re-register by clicking here.)
- Then, create a specific chat name and password for this chat. Your chat name and password should use only letters - do not use numbers or symbols. You can re-use your chat name and password for subsequent chats.
- A few minutes later you will receive a confirmation email that you are enrolled which also includes the link to use on the day of the chat, to get into the chat.
On the day of the chat:
- Log-in to the chat 15 minutes before the chat is scheduled to begin. Click on the link that was sent in the email (mentioned above). Be sure to use your FOS11 membership username and password and your chat name and password when prompted.
- Your computer may then prompt you to install Java. You need an upgraded version of JAVA to participate in the chat. Allow the chat interface to direct you to the upgrade, then you click "yes" to upgrade, and the JAVA wizard will walk you through the process. It may take a few minutes, but it is not difficult.
- If you experience any problems during this process, call (212) 575-1878 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and describe the issue you are having and give us your contact information, so we can help you through the log-in.
Please forward this email to others who you think might like to participate. To register as a member with Families of September 11, please visit:
Membership is free and open to 9/11 families, survivors, first responders and others interested in supporting our mission.